Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Brand new to support groups

Angiem1966

I am here because my therapist strongly encouraged me to find a support group and right now it is almost impossible for me to walk into a room full of strangers so here I am.  I am 50 years old and recently diagnosed with bipolar and PTSD, gosh I wish I had found help years and years ago.  Sexually abused by my father and my brother and suffered observed much violence at the hands of my alcoholic father.  In many ways I am just beginning to come to terms with what has happened to me.  I have been pretty disabled by the PTSD for years, I do not go out, do not socialize, work online at home so I do not have to go to a job.  People overwhelm me, noise overwhelms me.  I would just rather stay home with my dog but I recognize this may not be a reasonable way to live my life, I want to be alone but I don't want to be lonely.  Looking forward to making some connections here, thank you for having me

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find this a supportive place. Just know you are not alone. I also struggle with loneliness and have problem emotionally connecting to other people.

6 hours ago, Angiem1966 said:

I am here because my therapist strongly encouraged me to find a support group and right now it is almost impossible for me to walk into a room full of strangers so here I am.  I am 50 years old and recently diagnosed with bipolar and PTSD, gosh I wish I had found help years and years ago.  Sexually abused by my father and my brother and suffered observed much violence at the hands of my alcoholic father.  In many ways I am just beginning to come to terms with what has happened to me.  I have been pretty disabled by the PTSD for years, I do not go out, do not socialize, work online at home so I do not have to go to a job.  People overwhelm me, noise overwhelms me.  I would just rather stay home with my dog but I recognize this may not be a reasonable way to live my life, I want to be alone but I don't want to be lonely.  Looking forward to making some connections here, thank you for having me

I Angiem, welcome to AS. I am sorry for what you went through as a child. my abuser was my father too. This is a very supportive site you will find you are not alone here. You are never to old to reach out for help, I am 61 and still working on me. Take you time going over the site, we are here for you.  :notalone:

8 hours ago, Angiem1966 said:

Hi Angiem,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma you suffered at the hands of your father and brother. It is never right for another person to hurt you this way. You have found a very supportive site. I wish u well on your healing journey.

Mary

:supportu:

Welcome to AS, Angiem. i am sorry for all the abuse you had to endure from your father and brother. I can understand that facing people in real life can be scary and overwhelming. AS is great for finding support and making connections without having to walk into a room full of people. I am glad you found us and hope you will find the support you deserve here. You are not alone! 

:aswelcomesu: :notalone: :youcanheal:  :bighug: if ok

I am in the old age bracket :lol:   I so recognise the wanting to stay home with the dogs but not wanting to be lonely, unfortunately life doesn't work that way. I do have one real good friend whom I visit on a regular basis, I walk my dogs but here is isolated, my choice, and my daughter lives no far away but she and her husband are renovating a ruin themselves so I don't see much of her unless I make the effort which is no more than once a week. :blush:( awful mother)  I also have a little business that I run, I rent out a little cottage,  I have to meet and greet  (2 people) once a week during the holiday season and some times that is too much., stick mask on tighter and smile :(  I have some wonderful friends on here and they mean the world to me, AS has been my lifeline.   

Edited by reglois

Hi, Angiem1966, and welcome to AS! :wave: I also have PTSD and hate leaving the house. I force myself to go to work everyday, but become a hermit on the weekend. I'm sorry for the trauma you've suffered, but glad you found AS.