Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Newbie!

Hi there!  I'm new here.  I haven't been to therapy, but I find that online forums are less scary. I would really like to start the healing process, but I tend to go through periods of denial where I will convince myself that the abuse never happened until I get triggered for whatever reason.  It's an endless cycle.  

Welcome to AS Brunetta! I am sorry for what brings you here but you are not alone. I feel the same about online forums. I struggle as well with periods of denial but you can heal. I hope you find AS a healing, safe place. Any questions you can always ask. Looking forward to seeing you around the board 

Wishin

57 minutes ago, Brunetta said:

Hi there!  I'm new here.  I haven't been to therapy, but I find that online forums are less scary. I would really like to start the healing process, but I tend to go through periods of denial where I will convince myself that the abuse never happened until I get triggered for whatever reason.  It's an endless cycle.  

Hi Brunetta, welcome to AS, I think most of us go through the denial stage. This is a good forum with people who understand what you have been through. For me the big thing was knowing I am not alone. Take your time going over the site, we are here for you.  :notalone:

Congratulations on taking a big step. I can relate, too. 

I've decided to end a 40 year silence...and, now, it is time to turn the abuse in an action. 

Again, congratulations! Keep on keepin on. 

11 minutes ago, piepoudre said:

I've decided to end a 40 year silence...and, now, it is time to turn the abuse in an action. 

Hi piepoudre, Welcome to AS. I was in my 40 when I started dealing with my abuse

Hello Brunetta, welcome. You are not alone. I'm sorry about what brought you here. It was not your fault.

This group on-line is a good source of support. There is also a lot of information you can read.

How is your support system? Do you have family members and/or friends who know about it and are supportive of you? pets?

It is normal to feel the way you feel at present. Many survivors experience denial. It is a way of protecting ourselves. I wonder how you cope with triggers...what helps? I have made a list of my triggers and have written down ways of coping with specific triggers. It helps most of the time.

Healing is a journey and takes time. Healing is possible. Go at your own pace. It is okay to take care of yourself. Remember that you deserve to live a good life.

May you be well.

Here is a safe place I have in my mind...

Meet_the_Fairies-_Rosetta's_Favorite_Place_1.Png

Hello Brunetta,

I am a newbie as well :) This seems like a safe space to address these issues. Healing is not a straightforward process. Sometimes you may feel like you are taking steps back by denying the abuse. But it is all part of healing and ultimately you will get there. I am sorry you went through that. You didn't deserve it, but what you do deserve is to feel better :) I experience denial at times. It makes things easier I guess. Yet, overall it doesn't help healing. In my opinion, accepting that the abuse happened and finding a way to move forward with your life is what helps the most. You shouldn't let the abuse define you cause you are more than that. Be patient and give yourself the time you need to heal.

9 hours ago, Minerba said:

Hello Brunetta, welcome. You are not alone. I'm sorry about what brought you here. It was not your fault.

This group on-line is a good source of support. There is also a lot of information you can read.

How is your support system? Do you have family members and/or friends who know about it and are supportive of you? pets?

It is normal to feel the way you feel at present. Many survivors experience denial. It is a way of protecting ourselves. I wonder how you cope with triggers...what helps? I have made a list of my triggers and have written down ways of coping with specific triggers. It helps most of the time.

Healing is a journey and takes time. Healing is possible. Go at your own pace. It is okay to take care of yourself. Remember that you deserve to live a good life.

May you be well.

Here is a safe place I have in my mind...

Meet_the_Fairies-_Rosetta's_Favorite_Place_1.Png

I don't think I really have a support system I think.  My husband and best friends know about the most recent thing that happened - from about 5 years ago - but I guess they think I just got over it.  I've never spoken of things that happened prior to that.

i wouldn't say that i cope with triggers.  I do have an ED which is currently in relapse. 

:aswelcomesu: :youcanheal: :notalone: :bighug: if ok

I used to be so far up DeNile  I ran out of croc repellent  :lol: no longer go there .

18 hours ago, Brunetta said:

Hi Brunetta,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry that you have suffered trauma. I understand denial, as many of us do. You have found a very supportive site with many understanding individuals. It is a big step to reach out tho, and I wish you the best as you start moving forward on your healing journey.

Mary

:notalone:

16 hours ago, piepoudre said:

13 hours ago, letsbehappy said:

Hello Brunetta,

I am a newbie as well :) This seems like a safe space to address these issues. Healing is not a straightforward process. Sometimes you may feel like you are taking steps back by denying the abuse. But it is all part of healing and ultimately you will get there. I am sorry you went through that. You didn't deserve it, but what you do deserve is to feel better :) I experience denial at times. It makes things easier I guess. Yet, overall it doesn't help healing. In my opinion, accepting that the abuse happened and finding a way to move forward with your life is what helps the most. You shouldn't let the abuse define you cause you are more than that. Be patient and give yourself the time you need to heal.

Welcome to both of you, as well. I am sorry what brings you here, but you will find a ton of support at AS. Reaching out is a big step for everyone who comes here, so I like to acknowledge the courage that it took for each of you to do so. I wish you both the very best

Mary

:aswelcomesu: 

Edited by MeBeMary
9 hours ago, MeBeMary said:

Welcome to both of you, as well. I am sorry what brings you here, but you will find a ton of support at AS. Reaching out is a big step for everyone who comes here, so I like to acknowledge the courage that it took for each of you to do so. I wish you both the very best

Mary

:aswelcomesu: 

Thank you, Mary. :)  I was unsure before reaching out, but I am glad I did. :) 

Hi and welcome to AS! I hope you find our community informative/supportive. I wish you well on your healing journey.

:aswelcomesu::notalone::youcanheal: