Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New and a bit confused

Hello,

I found this site while doing research on support groups for survivors of sexual abuse. I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to navigate the site.

Im really hoping to be able to find a supportive community to talk to. I don't really have anyone to talk to about the abuse and think talking to someone who has gone through something similar would help immensely.

any tips on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

thank you :)

Welcome to AS Laura. I am sorry for whatever brought you here, but glad that you found this community. Everyone is very supportive and kind, you will see. 

The most used sections are those called 'Gathering Place' and 'Aftermath'. In both of those, members ask questions, post about their experiences with the aftermath of trauma, and generally support each other. You could have a look there and start reading what other people have posted. Often, many of us can relate to someone else's experience or worries, and at the beginning replying to someone else's post may be much easier than making your own. 

There is also the 'Sexual Assault: Different Types' section, where you can discuss the specific type of abuse you suffered with others who have gone through the same. This can be ver helpful.

Further down there are the 'Therapy' section, where people post about their experiences in Therapy or ask questions about Therapy in general, and 'Psychological Well-being', which has threads about many of the mental health issues that survivors often develop. 

Once you have posted 10 times, you will also unlock a section called 'Share your Story' at the top of the list of sections. Here, survivors post their stories, often in detail. It can be really helpful sharing with others as many of us haven't really told much in real life. But don't worry, you never have to post about anything unless you are ready.

This is only a very brief introduction and I don't know if any of it is helpful to you or which part is most interesting for you. Maybe some of the others will have something to add too. In any case, I hope that you find your way around ok and please do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have, both by posting or you can always send me a private message if you wish.  :notalone::supportu:

Edited by phoenixxx
8 hours ago, laura27 said:

Hello,

I found this site while doing research on support groups for survivors of sexual abuse. I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to navigate the site.

Im really hoping to be able to find a supportive community to talk to. I don't really have anyone to talk to about the abuse and think talking to someone who has gone through something similar would help immensely.

any tips on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

thank you :)

Hi laura, welcome to AS,  I am sorry for the abuse you have gone through. This is a very supportive with lots of information but more  important there are people who understand what you have been through. We are here for you as you start this new journey of healing.

Hi Laura,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma you have experienced. Nobody had the right to hurt you. Good news is that you have found a very supportive and safe site. Members here are truly kind and understanding. You will also not feel so alone. Reaching out is a big step, one of many I am sure you will take on this journey of healing.

Mary

:notalone:

Welcome to AS and Phoenixxx kind of covered it. There are lots of different sections but each has a description to assist. There are tons of supportive and helpful people too who are more than willing to help. Know that I can assist you if you need, my inbox is always open. Thinking of you. 

Wishin 

Hi Laura, Like you I am new to the site and a bit unsure of what to say and do and also like you I have no one to talk to about any of this, which gets very dark and lonely at times.  I hope we can all help each other even if it is baby steps, I really want to become normal again.

Hi and welcome to AS! I hope you find our community informative/supportive. I wish you well on your healing journey.

:aswelcomesu::notalone::youcanheal:

On July 10, 2016 at 1:17 AM, phoenixxx said:

Welcome to AS Laura. I am sorry for whatever brought you here, but glad that you found this community. Everyone is very supportive and kind, you will see. 

The most used sections are those called 'Gathering Place' and 'Aftermath'. In both of those, members ask questions, post about their experiences with the aftermath of trauma, and generally support each other. You could have a look there and start reading what other people have posted. Often, many of us can relate to someone else's experience or worries, and at the beginning replying to someone else's post may be much easier than making your own. 

There is also the 'Sexual Assault: Different Types' section, where you can discuss the specific type of abuse you suffered with others who have gone through the same. This can be ver helpful.

Further down there are the 'Therapy' section, where people post about their experiences in Therapy or ask questions about Therapy in general, and 'Psychological Well-being', which has threads about many of the mental health issues that survivors often develop. 

Once you have posted 10 times, you will also unlock a section called 'Share your Story' at the top of the list of sections. Here, survivors post their stories, often in detail. It can be really helpful sharing with others as many of us haven't really told much in real life. But don't worry, you never have to post about anything unless you are ready.

This is only a very brief introduction and I don't know if any of it is helpful to you or which part is most interesting for you. Maybe some of the others will have something to add too. In any case, I hope that you find your way around ok and please do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have, both by posting or you can always send me a private message if you wish.  :notalone::supportu:

You have no idea how helpful this was and how much better it has made me feel just to see that someone else cares and wants to help. Seriously thank you immensely for being so unbelievably kind and welcoming and helping me through this process 

Thank you to every single one of you. I honestly forgot all about this post because I figured it would just get lost in the abyss of other posts from confused newcomers like me. I sobbed tears of joy when I read all your comments. Reading this stream of supportive comments and just seeing that there are people out there who want to help and who are going through the same healing process as I am has already helped heal some wounds. Thank you to every single one of you who took the time to respond to this post. 

Thank you ❤️

5 hours ago, laura27 said:

You have no idea how helpful this was and how much better it has made me feel just to see that someone else cares and wants to help. Seriously thank you immensely for being so unbelievably kind and welcoming and helping me through this process 

Absolutely no worries, I am glad if it helped. I have been here since the beginning of April and have been so overwhelmed with the support. I am glad if I can give a little bit to others, too. :bighug::bighug::bighug: