Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Complete ball of emotions

So this is my first time ever, doing anything like this. After looking at different sites I finally found this one and it seems to help everyone.  I don't even know how to start this. I do feel like I have come to a turning point though, and I am tired of what happened to me being such a controlling part of my life. I have a wonderful husband and a great friend who are the only ones that know what has happened to me, but I feel guilty talking to them about it, like it puts a burden on them as well. So here I am, to talk to people who unfortunately may understand where I am coming from. Here's to feeling hopeful!

I'm in the same boat as you are. I don't talk about this with anyone. My husband and my best friend know as well, but I don't want to burden them with it. It's taken me 7 years to reach out to anyone else. 

So, welcome. What I'm trying to say is - I'm with you. And I know it's tough to open up for the first time. You got this - you can do it. :)

Hi Msunicorn,

Welcome to AS. i am very sorry for the trauma that you have suffered, but AS is a very supportive site. The members are as kind and as understanding as can be. Take your time, as there is no rush. Go at your own pace and know that you will not be pressured or judged. It is many times easier to talk to people who have been thru it, tho I am happy that you do have outside support. I do wish you well as you start your healing journey.

Mary

:supportu:

5 hours ago, Msunicorn said:

So this is my first time ever, doing anything like this. After looking at different sites I finally found this one and it seems to help everyone.  I don't even know how to start this. I do feel like I have come to a turning point though, and I am tired of what happened to me being such a controlling part of my life. I have a wonderful husband and a great friend who are the only ones that know what has happened to me, but I feel guilty talking to them about it, like it puts a burden on them as well. So here I am, to talk to people who unfortunately may understand where I am coming from. Here's to feeling hopeful!

Coming from a secondary survivors point of view, please don't feel guilty about talking to your husband and friend about what have already shared with them.  Trust me, it hurts me a lot more when I can see my partner/friend shutting down and suffering on her own and pushing me away rather than opening up to me about what is troubling her. 

It is not your fault what you went through and I hope that you find all of the support that you need, please don't cut out those whose support you have relied upon already though, if they want to be there for you then let them be there for you.

Good luck!

Thank you guys! MarieDoe, you said it has been 7 years for you, mine was over 10, I cant believe how in less than 24 hours I already feel like I am going in the right direction. When my husband suggested therapy before I absolute say no. I am not willing to ever talk to a stranger, yet here I am in the cyber world, and holy cow does it already make a difference knowing others have already reached out! Thank you so much!!!

Hello. I am also in the same boat. I did not tell anyone what happened until about 1 year ago....my attack was 6 years ago. Only a few people know and I feel the same guilt always talking to them about it. I initially was against therapy but recently found someone to speak to and have begun seeking support from other survivors. I have been on this site for a week and already feel more supportive than I ever have before. Feel free to message me to talk.