Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi! I'm New!

Hey friends,

I am a 21 year old female from the US. I have been coping, or at least trying to cope, with the trauma of being sexually abused by my ex boyfriend for the past two years. The past two years have been a roller coaster. After I finally got out of that relationship I found myself completely encompassed by anxiety, depression, and isolation. I feel like I have spent the past two years trying to forget everything that happened and moved past it but I have found that the more I push it down with medication and self-distraction, the more I crumble when I get any time alone with myself. There is no one, except my therapist really, I can talk to and every time I try to say anything out loud I completely shut down and have a panic attack. I just want to feel normal again, make friends, and join a community of people who I don't have to pretend around. Thank you all so much for being so accepting.

Hi, savalava. Welcome to AS. I'm so sorry for what you have gone through. I'm glad you have a T to help you work through it, though. I am similar - when trying to verbally talk about it - I shut down & sometimes panic, too. You do not have to pretend here. Feel free to read & post as you feel comfortable. :flowers:

Hi and welcome to AS! I hope you find our community informative/supportive. I wish you well on your healing journey.

:aswelcomesu::youcanheal::notalone:

Welcome Savalava,

I am sorry for what you have been through in your past relationship. Pushing things down doesn't really work unfortunately. I tried that for a long time but found that what I really needed was to talk to my T about it, so I am glad that you have a T that you can talk to. It is normal that things are not always easy to say. I am still trying to figure out how to get past those moments when I want to say something but the words get stuck in my throat. I guess it takes time.

I hope you find people to talk to here and that the support here will also help you open up to your T. I wish you well :notalone: :supportu:

19 hours ago, savalava123 said:

Hey friends,

I am a 21 year old female from the US. I have been coping, or at least trying to cope, with the trauma of being sexually abused by my ex boyfriend for the past two years. The past two years have been a roller coaster. After I finally got out of that relationship I found myself completely encompassed by anxiety, depression, and isolation. I feel like I have spent the past two years trying to forget everything that happened and moved past it but I have found that the more I push it down with medication and self-distraction, the more I crumble when I get any time alone with myself. There is no one, except my therapist really, I can talk to and every time I try to say anything out loud I completely shut down and have a panic attack. I just want to feel normal again, make friends, and join a community of people who I don't have to pretend around. Thank you all so much for being so accepting.

Hi savalava,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry you have been thru trauma at the hands of someone you should have been able to trust. I am glad you were able to find a way out of the relationship, but sorry you now struggle. You have found a supportive site, tho, with many understanding and kind members. It is hard to speak the words, I know, but you can speak as freely hear as you are comfortable with, without judgment or pressure. I wish you well as you begin your journey of healing.

Mary

:notalone: