Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi, it's me.

Hi.  My psychologist recommended to me this week that maybe I should join a survivors group.  I guess it never really crossed my mind in a million years to connect with a support group.  Honestly, I don't know how much commitment or participation I can give here.  What is actually required of me?  Who knows after posting here, if I'll ever sign on again.  I guess in a way, it kind of help to scan through the pages and pages of forum postings and realize I am not alone.  But there are also feelings of sadness, grief and disappointment seeing how many people are in this boat.  Kinda overwhelming.

My psychologist wants to try a therapeutic technique where together we walk through the entire "ordeal" in present tense step by step.  Wow, geez, I don't know. 

It's a 9 year old incident.  I am in my mid-thirties and I really, really, really just want to get on with my life instead of being trapped by the past.

26 minutes ago, michelerae said:

Hi.  My psychologist recommended to me this week that maybe I should join a survivors group.  I guess it never really crossed my mind in a million years to connect with a support group.  Honestly, I don't know how much commitment or participation I can give here.  What is actually required of me?  Who knows after posting here, if I'll ever sign on again.  I guess in a way, it kind of help to scan through the pages and pages of forum postings and realize I am not alone.  But there are also feelings of sadness, grief and disappointment seeing how many people are in this boat.  Kinda overwhelming.

My psychologist wants to try a therapeutic technique where together we walk through the entire "ordeal" in present tense step by step.  Wow, geez, I don't know. 

It's a 9 year old incident.  I am in my mid-thirties and I really, really, really just want to get on with my life instead of being trapped by the past.

Hi michelerae, Welcome to AS, I am sorry for the trauma that suffered 9 years ago. There is nothing required of you. This place is for you to know that you are not alone and their are many who understand what you have gone through. It can be overwhelming when you see how many people there are on this site but we are here for each other. Take your time looking over the site, you can share as little or as much you like.

Patricia

Hi michelerae,

Welcome to AS. I am sorry for what brought you here. You don't have to worry about fulfilling any obligations here - it is just about being able to communicate with people who have had similar experiences and healing alongside each other. If you feel like posting or replying to people that is great, but you shouldn't feel pressured to do so at any point. Hope you find this site helpful. What you psychologist suggested sounds quite daunting but it might be really good to talk through it in a safe environment so your mind can process it properly and you can get on with getting on with your life. 

Hi, Michele. I know that joining a message board can seem overwhelming. There is no pressure. When I first joined the board I would sign in anonymously from time to time and just read other people's posts. That went on for six months. Then, I decided to post for the first time. And, it's been an important part of my healing journey. All that to say, there is no "right" way to do this. It's whatever is right for you.

Hi and welcome to AS! It can be very overwhelming. Try taking it in little bits. I was overwhelmed when I first joined. Share as much or as little as you like on your own terms. You don't have to share your story. There's nobody here to judge you or pressure you, so take your time. I hope you find our community supportive/informative.

:aswelcomesu::notalone::youcanheal:

Hi, Michelerae. 

I am in my mid-30's also (34). My traumas happened six months ago. 

I too was encouraged to seek out support and I have found it in abundance here. I have connected with people who understand, share, support, and even love, if you want it. 

I hope you find something here that will help you heal. 

Amy

Edited by Iheartcupcakes
18 hours ago, michelerae said:

Hi michelerae,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma that you have suffered. I know it can feel a little strange coming to a site like this for the first time. There may be some guidelines, but really the only so-called requirement is to treat people with a common courtesy and respect, which I am sure you would do anyway. You can read, post, or response at your comfort level. Take your time and do what you feel is best for you. Just know that you are supported here. I wish you well on your healing journey.

Mary

:supportu: