Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Here's hoping.

Hello.  I just found this forum and joined this morning.  I don't really know if I belong here, or if it will help, and only recently have I come to accept that what happened to me earlier this month was abuse and not my fault (I still struggle with that though).  I'm hoping joining this group and talking to other survivors will be a step in the long healing process.

Hello LeopardBoy,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry that you have experienced trauma, but know you have found a supportive site. The members here are truly kind and understanding. Nobody has the right to hurt another in this way and you say you are still struggling. That is all that really is needed for you to be accepted here. We struggle together and try to find ways of healing, and not being alone, as we go thru these struggle. I am glad that you were able to reach out, as I know that is not always so easy. I wish you will as you start your healing journey.

Mary

:notalone:

Thanks for the welcome.  It was hard reaching out, even to my closest friends, after the incident.  My family still only knows bits and pieces of what happened that night.  I still carry a lot of guilt and blame myself for a lot of it, even though logically I know it wasn't my fault.

Leopard,

I am struggling with the same thing.  Logically I know that it wasn't my fault and if someone else came to me with their story I would never think for a moment that it was their fault regardless of the circumstances.  For some reason it feels different when its me.  I do feel like it was my fault and that I put myself in a dangerous situation without even seeing the risk.  I didn't even realize until recently that I was struggling with as much guilt as I am and I think that that is part of the reason I've been dealing with this for so long. 

I have started and stopped this journey several times without getting very far.  Coming to AS is my way of trying something different so that I can finally make progress.  I wish you a more successful journey than I have had to date so that you can heal and not let this horrible experience define you.