Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello

Hi everybody,

I'm brand new to all this.  This is the only support group I could find run by survivors for survivors, either on the internet or out in the real world.  Thank you to everyone running it and all the other survivors for making it possible.  I have talked to therapists but I really wanted to find other people who have been through similar experiences and so can really understand it in the way that others can't.  

Thanks again and take good care of yourselves,

Gently Snoring Cat

Welcome Gently Cat Snoring, as I was reading your post and saw your name my cat beside me started snoring :). I am glad you found this site, it is good that you are seeing a T. I often will talk to my T about something I have read here. You are not alone in this  journey.

Patricia

Thank you Patricia :) I rescue neglected and abused cats, and one of them was snoring next to me on the sofa when I was trying to come up with a name!  My T really helps, she's great but I'm still very glad to find some other survivors.  Thanks again.

Hi gsc   I rescue neglected and abused dogs. it helps me enourmously as well as helping them, they are My lifesavers.  

Edited by reglois

That's so great.  I love dogs too and I would love to rescue them but I work full time so I couldn't take care of them in the way they deserve.  My cats have definitely been lifesavers too.  It feels like at least I am doing one thing right when they turn from skinny little terrified things into healthy, trusting cats who demand attention all the time and snore next to me on the sofa!  They also make me feel responsible for other lives, so I need to do everything I can to keep my own life going.  It's really nice to hear that you have found solace in caring for abused animals too.  Thank you for sharing that.

Hi gentlysnoringcat,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma that you have suffered, but you are not alone. The members on this site are very supportive and understanding. I like the concept here, as well. Nobody truly gets you like another survivor, and let's be honest, being a survivor isn't easy. It is freeing to be able to say what I need to, without worry of being judged or misunderstood. It's a big step to reach out, so congratulations on being ready and able to do so. I wish you well on your healing journey.

I also agree with the others, love your user name. :up:

Mary

:notalone:

15 hours ago, gentlysnoringcat said:

Hi everybody,

I'm brand new to all this.  This is the only support group I could find run by survivors for survivors, either on the internet or out in the real world.  Thank you to everyone running it and all the other survivors for making it possible.  I have talked to therapists but I really wanted to find other people who have been through similar experiences and so can really understand it in the way that others can't.  

Thanks again and take good care of yourselves,

Gently Snoring Cat

Hello GSC. Welcome to AS! It is my wish that you find this site as helpful and healing as I have in my healing journey. 

I am part of the NST (Newbie Support Team). What that means is that I (or any of the mods/admins/NST) can help/direct you as you learn how to use the forums. Should you have questions, feel free to send a PM to any one of the AS staff. 

You've taken a huge step in reaching out. This is a big step in healing from abuse of any kind. Take all the time you need in sharing. 

Know that you are not alone. 

Am listening and validating you and your experiences. 

Here is a link to the board guidelines and rules: 
http://www.aftersilence.org/forum/index.php?s=5c8b6bf0f3f95bcc2f076d1d105a1719&showtopic=194#entry685

Here is a link regarding some privacy/safety issues that are helpful:
http://www.aftersilence.org/forum/index.php?s=5c8b6bf0f3f95bcc2f076d1d105a1719&showtopic=27269#entry218846

Sending healing energy your way. 

~Chantel~ :flowers: