Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

The Inner Child Thread

Little Alex wants to come out and play but she is very scared too ...might get told to be grown up by husband he don't seems to understand the whole inner child thing.

I'm sorry your husband doesn't understand the inner child. My husband is having trouble with it too, so now he is coming to bonus therapy appointments so my t can explain things to him.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little Girl,

I am finally going to let you have your way tonight and you get to sleep with your stuffed animal. I know you've needed the comfort and I haven't let you have that because it keeps me awake. Tonight is about you and your needs so enjoy!

ok little me - it's time to go to sleep. We have this problem almost every night. I've been a lot nicer to you lately and you don't have to worry- I will be nicer from now on, for ever and ever. Please help me get some sleep. I understand you're excited about going to a new place for a while- but you still need sleep. You have your bear, we can cuddle, It is so past your bedtime. pleeasseeeeee!!!!!

Edited by abbywil83
  • 1 year later...

I'm trying to really get in touch with you little flea. I typically ignore you at all costs but I don't think that's working to well. I'll try to be a little more patient/open to you but please forgive me on the days I'm harsh with you. This is as confusing for me as for you.

I've only just seen this thread but I need to say this somewhere. I hate little M. I'm terrified of her. I think she has a power over me that I don't really understand. I have dreams where she'll kill me just to keep the silence. She knows more than I do but she won't tell me any of it. I want to know about my past and she won't tell me. I really really hate her. I feel bad for saying that but I can't deny that it's true. I'm scared of her and I hate her. :(

The first time I was asked to think about my inner chid.... The group facilitator asked us to give our child a hug.... I couldn't help thinking, is she the kind of child I would like? Would I even want to hug her? And the answer in my head was that she was a little brat....

And sometimes I even hated her....

I wanted to kill her.... I liked keeping her separate from grown-up me and pretend what happened to her hadn't happened to me.

We aren't exactly on friendly terms yet, but my T asked me to draw the two of us together and I drew us sitting on a picnic rug, sharing food. I wasn't ready to love her yet, but I wanted her to be happy and cared for (picnics were always one of my favourite things to do.. and still are)

Sweet little boy.........I am starting to get little tiny glimpses of you and I'm so sorry I left you behind all these years in silence and alone.............I am now learning in a very deep way what it means to love you through my 3 year old grandson............I want to take your hand like I learned in taking his and help you know you are loved and I want to help you feel and live outloud like you deserve..........you have been silent so long........take my hand........

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Im currently embarking on the journey of recognizing, reconciling and respecting my inner child and this thread gives me hope that I'll be able to do so. 

On 4/26/2016 at 9:30 AM, Angbdxgf said:

Im currently embarking on the journey of recognizing, reconciling and respecting my inner child and this thread gives me hope that I'll be able to do so. 

I hope this thread helps you too!

Yesterday I bought my inner child some mermaid stickers.

I DID IT. I FOUND NOT ONE, BUT TWO OF THEM!! I'm absolutely ecstatic to get to know them and start working with them. I've been putting them to sleep ever night and saying hello every now and again but I'm not sure what else to do with them? Is it okay to share a description of them on here? I'm bursting to tell someone.

3 hours ago, Angbdxgf said:

I DID IT. I FOUND NOT ONE, BUT TWO OF THEM!! I'm absolutely ecstatic to get to know them and start working with them. I've been putting them to sleep ever night and saying hello every now and again but I'm not sure what else to do with them? Is it okay to share a description of them on here? I'm bursting to tell someone.

That's great!  Sure, share here.  

• 1 year later...

Sometimes it's like I turn into my inner child. When I'm around my inner circle of family, my sister especially, I start acting younger. I have no idea why. It just feels nice to be like a kid again, to have someone taking care of me. To not have to worry about the big world.

Sometimes, she'll just come out, randomly, and I'll let her do what she wants.

There are some toys at therapy, and I started dipping my toes into playing with them. I was embarrassed to continue doing so, but I'm going to try to do more next time. My inner child needs to know that it's still okay, even though scary stuff is being talked about by me.

I also wrote her some letters, and it helped. As did imagining me hugging her (I started welling up, even)

I just want her to be okay. I wish this world was better than it is. She deserves a better world.

I love her so much.

All this is making me cry, and I don't even know why?

I think I'm going to read through the rest of this thread, bit by bit. Help connect with her even better.

Edited by mountainlion75
  • 3 weeks later...

Sometimes... my inner child comes out in a voice. 
I used to do it a lot but then my last boss started stopping me.... I never realized how often I made that childish voice until she started snapping at me...

Now, it kinda has stopped... 
 My inner child is very confused, and just wants to sit and draw and be artistic. My poor little girl... That's all she ever wanted to do... sit on the floor with a pile of blank pieces of paper in front of her and a sharpened pencil and just let the night melt away as she drew....

• 1 month later...

I call my inner child Bella her and I don’t get along. Bella actually scares me because she’s the side of me that is cold hearted. She’s cold hearted because nobody listens to her and she trusts nobody. She scares me because I know she’s cruel and heartless and I’m not like her.

• 1 year later...

Dear Inner Child,

I want you to know you did the best you could at the time you were being hurt.  An adult man took advantage of you, an innocent child.  That is his shame, not yours.  But now you are safe, I will keep you safe, I promise.

• 4 weeks later...

little Alex want to hide forever  bad man hurt us little Alex is scared  she wants to hide with teddies  but we have an appointment and cant hide 

going to  be with friends after for tea and cake  little Alex loves cake and friends 

• 1 year later...

I've been thinking about my inner child since first coming upon this thread. I think I haven't given him enough credit. I didn't fight back when being sexual abused. I sometimes wonder why I did not tell. But then my inner child reminds me that I did what I had to do to survive. If you knew what was going on maybe you could have told someone. But dad didn't seem to notice and mom and step dad were to busy yelling at me and each other you stayed quiet. My inner child comes out when I hear people yelling, even if its out of excitement. I can't handel yelling. I need to tell my inner child to relax but its hard to do. But he still comes out when every night I sleep with my stuffed animals.

@little_boy_lost I didn't fight back either.  Yes, you absolutely did what you had to to survive.  You did the best you could at the time.  I'm sorry to hear nobody noticed.  I too sleep with a stuffed animal.  She's a stuffed lamb and her name is Beth.  

8 minutes ago, 8888 said:

@little_boy_lost I didn't fight back either.  Yes, you absolutely did what you had to to survive.  You did the best you could at the time.  I'm sorry to hear nobody noticed.  I too sleep with a stuffed animal.  She's a stuffed lamb and her name is Beth.  

I have two stuffed animal sea turtles  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just started bawling after listening to the "no means no" song from The Big Comfy Couch. I felt really safe and protected, especially when Loona said "no is a power word." Now I feel embarrassed watching and having that reaction to a show for pre schoolers. But its still wholesome and I highly recommend it.

@wolfennights Hmm, I’ll have to check this out! Thanks for the recommendation! & don’t feel embarrassed... I think many of us watch shows like that. I know I do... especially when I am super anxious and depressed or cannot quiet my thoughts related to trauma.

My dad got angry with me tonight and it triggered some trauma from my past. So now I’m in my room watching SpongeBob, drinking milk, and eating candy, with my stuffed “build-a-bear” polar bear from my preteen years. Lol - so don’t feel bad 😉😊

• 2 years later...

I call my little self Isabelle (not my name), and she's learning to trust me. Warmth, comfort - things we never comfortably had without being afraid of when it would end... I try to find that now.

My therapist said I can protect my younger self now, whether my younger self believes it or not - whether believe it or not. My T told me to try to watch movies or shows with strong characters, to help remind myself that I'm not powerless, and to help little Isabelle feel like she isn't alone.

It's kind of uncomfortable for me to watch typical nostalgic kid shows I used to enjoy (Pokémon, Care Bears, Spongebob, etc) because they're often triggering, so I usually resort to newer animated movies that grab my younger self's attention, or series we personally never watched growing up (for example Encanto was a big one for a while, then the most recent My Little Pony series).

I cuddle and sleep with stuffed animals too, right now a soft, giant, weighted dinosaur (he weighs 5 pounds!).