Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

This Is All Very New

Hello everyone--

Just wanted to say hello and say what's up. I was referred here by my therapist, who doesn't currently have any groups that I can attend. Looking forward to having an outlet, as I am in a new area, and while I have some well-maintained long-distance friendships to keep me going, there aren't so many people to talk to about this in my life right now. And I'm kind of a talker.

I was only able to begin getting real help starting last August (because of insurance and financial reasons), and after a few months of deep digging, repressed memories started bubbling up. So, here I am. This is very new--in other words, I didn't really understand that I was a survivor until a couple months ago, and I didn't really understand what kind of survivor I was until a couple weeks ago. I am reeling from it, truth be told.

Currently so overwhelmed by the massive readjustments that these memories have required of me that I can do little else other than the work I'm doing in therapy. Which of course is creating some serious problems in my professional life. So there's that. Trying to be a decent dad and husband while dealing with all of this is about as much as I am capable of right now.

Anyway, thanks for having me—looking forward to doing what I can to help whenever I can.

Hello everyone--

Just wanted to say hello and say what's up. I was referred here by my therapist, who doesn't currently have any groups that I can attend. Looking forward to having an outlet, as I am in a new area, and while I have some well-maintained long-distance friendships to keep me going, there aren't so many people to talk to about this in my life right now. And I'm kind of a talker.

I was only able to begin getting real help starting last August (because of insurance and financial reasons), and after a few months of deep digging, repressed memories started bubbling up. So, here I am. This is very new--in other words, I didn't really understand that I was a survivor until a couple months ago, and I didn't really understand what kind of survivor I was until a couple weeks ago. I am reeling from it, truth be told.

Currently so overwhelmed by the massive readjustments that these memories have required of me that I can do little else other than the work I'm doing in therapy. Which of course is creating some serious problems in my professional life. So there's that. Trying to be a decent dad and husband while dealing with all of this is about as much as I am capable of right now.

Anyway, thanks for having me—looking forward to doing what I can to help whenever I can.

Hello and welcome to AS!

I hope you find this website helpful in supporting you as you go through all of this overwhelming stuff on the way to healing!

With support,

Activist Ally